Why SPF Is The Pinnacle Of Skincare
Pull up a chair, ’cause we’re here to talk about a super important topic: sunscreen. If there’s one thing you can do daily to protect your skin, it’s wear sunscreen. We’d shout this from the rooftops if we could!
Most of us know that we should always apply sunscreen when going to the beach for the day or spending time outdoors, but that’s actually only the tip of the iceberg. All of us should be wearing SPF 30 daily to reduce our risk of skin cancer and premature aging.
We know what you’re thinking – I’ve been pretty slack in using sunscreen… Is it too late? Not at all, girl! Here’s why sunscreen is important in skincare and how you can incorporate it into your routine.
Why is SPF important all year round?
Here’s the thing: slapping on the SPF isn’t just for the summer; you should be wearing it daily. Daily sunscreen use decreases your skin cancer risk by 40–50% and it also prevents wrinkles, sun spots, and premature aging. Of course, it protects against sunburn too, which can happen even in winter, especially if you have fair skin.
Even if you work indoors, UV light can get through windows, so it’s good to get into the habit of applying sunscreen daily – even short walks from your car to the store or office can add up, so you need to protect your delicate skin. That’s why skincare isn’t just about moisturizers and cleansers – anyone who is serious about their skin is now including SPF in their daily routine.
How to introduce SPF into your daily routine
Ready to start including sunscreen in your morning skincare routine? If so, awesome choice – your skin will thank you in the future. Here’s how to get started.
- Find the right product
Remember when your parents would apply that thick, goopy sunscreen all over you as a kid? Don’t worry – sunscreen has gotten a lot better over the years. Sunscreen technology is much more advanced now, with plenty of products designed specifically for facial use.
These are light, creamy products that will smooth onto your skin just like a moisturizer and won’t cause congestion or breakouts. The first step is to find a sunscreen you love and are happy to apply each day (we’ve listed some of our faves below).
- SPF is the last step in your skincare regime
Okay, so once you find the right SPF, when do you apply it? Sunscreen should always be the last step in your skincare routine, before applying any makeup or foundation.
After washing your face each morning, you’ll want to apply any serums or active products, followed by moisturizer, then end with your sunscreen.
- Wear it daily – no matter what!
For long-term benefits, you need to use your sunscreen daily! We know, one extra step in your skincare routine is kinda annoying, but it could literally save your life. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the US, but the good news is that it can often be treated if caught early (or prevented entirely with the right precautions).
- Don’t forget your lips and hands
It’s essential to apply SPF to your face, but don’t forget about your lips and hands as well. There are plenty of effective lip balms that have SPF built-in, so give them a quick rub across your lips before heading outside.
It’s also a good idea to apply SPF to your hands, as sunspots frequently develop there.
- Be extra cautious if you’re also using retinol
If you’re using retinoids as part of your skincare routine, it’s extra important that you wear SPF. Why? Retinol makes your skin more sensitive to UV rays, meaning your skin can burn much more easily when using products like tretinoin.
Sunlight also decreases retinoids’ effectiveness, so to get the best results and protect your skin, apply a broad-spectrum SPF daily, meaning it can protect you from both UVA and UVB rays.
Not your grandma’s sunscreens
So, which SPF is best for my skin? There are plenty of choices, and you definitely don’t need to be applying thick, stinky sunscreen to your face! You don’t need to pay a fortune for it either – although facial sunscreens can be expensive, there are also high-quality options for all budgets.
Below are some of the best sunscreen choices to add to your skincare routine. If you have skin concerns or a family history of skin cancers, you might want to talk to your doctor to get recommendations, ensuring your skin is adequately protected each day.
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50: This daily sunscreen is super popular, as it’s lightweight and smooth on your skin, with an almost nonexistent scent. It works well on sensitive skin and isn’t oily, making it a great choice for just about anyone.
- Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55: We love this SPF as it’s budget-friendly, but has the feel of a luxe product. It’s a good choice for anyone with acne-prone skin, as its formula is designed to prevent breakouts.
- Black Girl Sunscreen SPF 30: This sunscreen is damn awesome – it’s made by people of color, for people of color, it’s vegan, and it’s made from natural ingredients. Black Girl Sunscreen is perfect for daily use and just one of many amazing Black-owned beauty brands out there to support.
- SkinCeuticals Daily Brightening UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 30: Many skincare devotees love the SkinCeuticals brand that blends seamlessly onto your skin, using chemicals, rather than minerals, to provide UV protection. It also contains brightening ingredients, giving you a gorgeous glow and protection from sun damage.
It’s pretty clear that sunscreen is damn important, so make it a priority each morning. A few seconds is all it takes to protect your skin, so find an SPF you love and never leave home without it. Seriously, your future self will thank you for taking care of your skin, so don’t skimp on this essential skincare step.